Thursday, August 2, 2012

Survival of albino Aloes





This is an Aloe nobilis
variegata.  Pups are continously growing from her base - all
variegated. The variegation patterns are widely varied, ranging from almost full green to albino*.  Striping is light to dark green, often turning red/brown in full sun.






Closeup of albino* pups
*In the context of this post, "Albino" are plants with very little chlorophyll.

I was curious if the albino forms would survive on their own.  I removed four similarly sized pups, three albino and one standard, and situated them in half day sun. This is a photo of the four pups a few months after removal.  The standard form has grown twice as large as the albinos and has begun to produce pups.  


More recently, I removed these four pups and planted them in the same pot.  They represent a wider range of variegation.  There is one almost completely white specimen.  Curious to see if it survives.




This pup was lightly variegated and unlike the others, took on the reddish "stress" colors of the mother plant.  









Of the first group, only this one and it's green sibling, survived.  The other two turned brown and died.  This plant is exhibiting the same problem, browning of the leaf margins.  Plants in the second group have survived so far.  All but the whitest plants, regardless of the proportion of green to white, did very well.  On some plants, green stripes have thickened, but the all-white leaves never developed new striping and are weaker and more sensitive to light.  They cannot tolerate much direct sun, yet do poorly in bright, full shade.  They seem to do best in dappled shade with a dose of early morning, direct sun.  I am still experimenting with exposure.  


I can only conclude that the albino plants, lacking in chlorophyll, are weaker, less tolerant of light/sun, and grow much more slowly than their greener counterparts, if they survive at all.  More updates to come....!

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Arid, I'm Nadezda. Welcome to Blotanical! I love your photo of aloes. I have got one in my home because it's cold for it to grow in the garden.
    http://northern-garden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nedezda! Thank you for the compliment. I applaud you for having a succulent or two despite your cooler weather. Took a look at your blog...such beauty! So green and lush too!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting post, I remember when it was a discussion on the frm, nice to see what happened or not...great info to relate to for future actions on other variegates! LT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that forum discussion too. The consensus was that an all white plant would eventually die. Stubborn as I am, I took it as a challenge and potted these white aloes shortly afterwards. Although they aren't doing great, they have survived longer than expected.

      Delete
  3. My sister in California really wants an albino aloe for her son. He is an artist on San Diego. Where can she find one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for my late response. This aloe is very common and can be found in many local nurseries, as well as online. Variegated forms are also common.

      Delete
  4. love your plants I have aloe they live in my house there my babies is there any place I could buy Aloe nobilis variegata / White aloe
    to put with my aloe are do you sale them how much been looking for one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloe nobilis variegata is very common. The variegation and color varies from plant to plant. This particular plant has striking color. All of my white variegates died. They are weak and did not do well in sun. You can shop at most cactus/succulent nurseries in San Diego and find this aloe. Check online also. Good luck!

      Delete